Monthly Menus from Holly
RED, WHITE & BLUE FOOD FUN
Summer has officially arrived and that means Fourth of July festivities and barbecues are around the corner. With Team USA on the World Cup stage, I wanted to share the perfect summer dishes that add to the red, white and blue celebration. Highlighting the fresh ingredients of the season to accompany the meat you throw on the grill, these trim&TERRIFIC recipes are sure to be worthy of the fireworks on those hot summer nights. From watermelon to tomatoes – warm weather entertaining is a breeze when you take advantage of the best seasonal fruits and vegetables to not only pack your meal with nutrition but also enjoy the best flavors summer has to offer. Happy Red, White and Blue!
All American Potato Skins with Horseradish Sauce: Nothing says “Go Team USA” like these all-American pleasing pick-ups!
- This “white” food is actually a very healthy low fat source of good-for-you fiber – especially in the potato skin!
- Use extra potato pulp to make mashed potatoes for tomorrow’s dinner.
- An easy tip to seed tomatoes - cut the tomato in half from side to side and gently squeeze the tomato to watch seeds easily pop out.
Watermelon and Tomato Salad: An awesome star-spangled “red” dish – this cool combo creates an invigorating light salad.
- The perfect way to use leftover watermelon in the refrigerator.
- Although water accounts for 90% of watermelon’s weight, it is rich in potassium, Vitamins A and C.
- Tomatoes are one of the best sources of lycopene, a powerful antioxidant helping reduce risk for heart disease and some cancers.
White Chocolate Blueberry Bundt Cake: This “blue” cake is a Showstopper - I often give it as gifts as it is my very favorite!
- Blueberries are little jewels packed with fiber and antioxidants that help slow the aging process from the inside out.
- They provide memory protection, reduced risk of cancers and decreased infections.
- Frozen do the trick as well as fresh, and can be kept in the freezer year-round. If using frozen blueberries in your cake don’t defrost.
Holly’s partnership with Our Lady of Lake Regional Medical Center webisodes. Look for the “Holly Clegg” daily special in OLOL cafeteria.
Contact Holly at firstname.lastname@example.org for corporate wellness program or special book sales (price) for holiday gifts.
Do you have my phone app? Download free: Holly Clegg's Mobile Rush Hour Recipes
Have you been to my blog? http://thehealthycookingblog.com