Monthly Menus from Holly
OMG! The Best Recipes For Those Beautiful Berries
I love when berries are in season - they are not only beautiful but an easy way to eat with nutrition. Deliciously sweet, it isn’t hard to convince just about anyone to dive into a bundle of berries, and with May being National Arthritis Month what better time to focus on anti-inflammatory superstars. These little jewels are known for their health benefits as they are packed with immune boosting vitamin C, fiber and antioxidants that help slow the aging process from the inside out. They also tout memory protection, reduced risk of cancer, and decreased infections just to name a few. From blackberries to Louisiana fresh strawberries, this month I highlight recipes that feature a bounty of berries in desserts, salads, even dinner!
Strawberry and Kiwi Mixed Green Salad – Hits the spot with the perfect balance of light and refreshing fruit complemented with a delectably sweet poppy seed dressing.
- Try berries on any salad for added nutrition.
- As the weather warms up this salad is just as pretty as it is delicious.
- Add grilled chicken for a hearty version or pair it with a soup or sandwich for an easy meal.
- 6 Weight Watcher SmartPoints
Blackberry Chicken – This blend of ingredients creates a sweet and savory sauce to die for!
- Blackberry jam, balsamic vinegar, caramelized onions – need I say more.
- Best of all, the longer the chicken cooks in the sauce, the better it gets!
- Frozen do the trick as well as fresh, so be sure to pick up extra berries to keep in your freezer for this recipe year-round.
- 10 Weight Watcher SmartPoints
Strawberry Cheesecake Parfait – This no cook cheesecake dessert is a delicious summer treat!
- Serve in single serving stemware for a beautiful table setting.
- For a sweet Louisiana treat, strawberries are the star of this dessert and enticing for all ages. Be sure to visit your local produce market for the best seasonal strawberries.
- If you don’t want to chop berries use raspberries, blackberries and blueberries!
- I like Greek yogurt as it is a creamier, thicker protein-rich yogurt, especially in this dessert-but make sure to get vanilla flavor.
- 8 Weight Watcher SmartPoints
For all things berry, check out my Best Blueberry Recipes Pinterest Board!