Monthly Menus from Holly
Top Summer Sides for Your BBQ
Nothing kicks off the start of summer like a good old-fashioned barbeque. There is always a reason to gather around the BBQ pit – as it’s the perfect way to relax with your family and enjoy a beautiful summer afternoon! Most people can grill a hamburger or chicken pretty easily, but what side dishes are the grill’s perfect pair? The meal is never complete without summer sides and these recipes complement any barbecue style while reflecting the fresh ingredients of the season.
Baked Beans: Take your classic canned beans up a notch with quick and easy additions!
- For a time-saver can make earlier and bake when ready to serve.
- Beans, beans, really are good for your heart – full of nutritious fiber.
- According to the Dietary Guidelines for Americans, 25 grams of fiber is the recommended daily amount for women and 38 grams for men. After age 50, the need drops to 21 grams daily for women and 30 grams for men.
- The health benefits of consuming the recommended amount of fiber are numerous, including heart health, reducing cholesterol, and even decreasing the risk of some cancers.
Southwestern Sweet Potato Salad: Bursting with sweet and spicy and SO good – one of my summer go-to recipes.
- Nutrition Nugget: Their rich orange color lets you know sweet potatoes are rich in vitamin A and powerful anti-inflammatory antioxidants.
- A touch of Louisiana yam sweetness makes an excellent pair to your favorite smoky meat.
Lemonade Cake: Quench your sweet tooth with this tall drink of citrus dessert.
- Use lemonade concentrate (small frozen lemonade) for cake, icing and then make yourself a drink with any left.
- Citrus, such as lemons, are high in the antioxidant Vitamin C.
- The antioxidant, Vitamin C is a water-soluble vitamin that plays an important role in growth and tissue repair. Essential for collagen formation, Vitamin C plays a role in helping to keep bone, cartilage and connective tissue strong, helping to relieve arthritis inflammation and pain.
Summer Limeade: If you have leftover watermelon then this frappe-style drink will quench your summer thirst!
- For those that want an alcoholic version, add rum or vodka.
The ultimate crowd-pleaser, make-ahead dip – Mediterranean Layered Dip
ARE YOU KEEPING UP WITH HOLLY?
Join my PINTEREST BOARD for recipes and all my Summer Favorites
Download my free phone app: Holly Clegg's Mobile Rush Hour Recipes
Have you been to my blog with tons of new recipes?
Subscribe to Holly’s YouTube channel